Friday, March 20, 2009

About Me


Hello and welcome to monkey food. Here is a little bit about me and why I have created this blog. I am a mom, a wife, an artist, a cook and (as one of my favorite moms would say) "the brains of the operation." I am a baby wearing, all natural mom and because of that, after breast milk, I wanted my son to eat nothing but the best foods. I wanted him to love fresh foods as much as I do. I grew up on a vegetable farm in San Luis Obispo, California. There, I learned to cook, from both my mom and my dad. Each evening, my brother and I would head out onto the farm or into our family's garden to pick the vegetables for dinner (sounds cheesy, but completely true!). Every night, we turned off the TV, didn't answer the phone and sat down for a home cooked family dinner. These memories are so special to me and I knew when I became a mom, I would instill the same values into my family's routine.

My senior year of high school, I was off to culinary school in New York. I wanted to be a chef and open my own restaurant. Then at the last minute, I deiced to postpone culinary school and go to San Diego State University and study business. Here I met my husband and found that I loved everything about the dining experience. A good meal is about ambiance, presentation and of course, the food.

When my son was born, there were a lot of things I wanted to do and breastfeeding and cooking his food from scratch were at the top of my list. I was not one of those moms who loved breastfeeding. It wasn't that I didn't like it, I just didn't love it. I loved knowing what I was giving him and the benefits of breastfeeding but I was never comfortable nursing in front of others and often felt left out when I have to go into another room to feed Hayden.

I wasn't sure where to start when it came to making baby food. I wanted Hayden to have a balanced diet that included foods outside of the norm. I talked to my pediatrician, other moms, read baby books and a children's cookbook and felt confident that I could do it. When Hayden was 6 months old, I was so excited to try out making some baby food and see his reaction to real food. Now one year later, he eats everything, including spinach and he loves it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment